This resource outlines what minimum certifications are required for various levels of IT work within the federal government. If you’ve been checking out government jobs but aren’t sure what credentials you need, check here!
It’s no secret that the CompTIA credentials exams are challenging — but luckily, Scholars have great resources like Professor Messer to help you ace your test. Check out the Professor’s YouTube channel for valuable test prep courses, live-streamed study groups, and tech/IT career resources!
This online resource provides practice tests, flashcards, content descriptions, and other resources for many common tests — including many of the credential exams supported by the VA Ready program! Visit test-guide.com and see if they have resources for your credential here.
Interested in exploring what a career path looks like in Technology/Cybersecurity? Click here to visit Cyber Seek for an interactive view on key jobs within cybersecurity, common transition opportunities between them, and detailed information about the salaries, credentials, and skillsets associated with each role.
Tech Mock Interviews
Interviewing for careers in tech often require skills tests or other demonstrations of your tech knowledge in action — which can be difficult to anticipate and practice if you’re new to the field. Luckily there are several amazing resources that can pair you with industry professionals or your peers in the field to hold mock interviews and gain valuable feedback. Check out these providers:
Tips for Getting a Job in Tech
It can be difficult to break into the tech/IT field, especially with little or no experience — here are some resources to help you get hired and set expectations on how long the process may take.
- 7 Tips for Getting Into IT With Zero Experience
- I Want To Work In Tech. How Long Will It Take To Get Hired?
- How long does it really take to find a new job?
Tech/IT Continued Learning
The technology field is ever-evolving, and it’s important to keep your knowledge up-to-date even once you’ve earned your credential and settled into your career. Resources like the ones below can help you stay on top of your game and ready for the newest cyber security threats!
- CyberSecLabs: Secure, high-quality training services that allow information security students the opportunity to safely learn and practice penetration testing skills.
- TryHackMe: Hands-on cyber security training through real-world scenarios. Earn points by answering questions, taking on challenges and maintain your hacking streak through short lessons.
- Cybrary: Guided pathways, threat-informed training, and certification preparation to fully equip cybersecurity professionals at every stage in their careers to skill up and confidently mitigate threats.
- OverTheWire Wargames: The wargames offered by the OverTheWire community can help you to learn and practice security concepts in the form of fun-filled games.
- TCM Security Academy: Learn how to hack things without breaking the bank! These affordable, self-paced, online courses cover hacking foundations and beyond.
- Root Me: The fast, easy, and affordable way to train your hacking skills! Challenge yourself using hundreds of challenges and virtual environments, some of which are available for free.